Freezer Friendly meals are a game changer. They are great time savers and the equivalent of autopilot dinners. With school going back very soon its a super simple thing you can do right now to save your sanity those first few weeks back (and then every week of your life after that). Just like anything else, it’s a skill that’s refined over time and I can guarantee you it’s worth learning. Anything that’s sanity saving, time saving and money saving has to be a win right? So here is my list of 10 of the best freezer friendly meals.
Some Top Tips:
- When freezing meals ensure you only freeze in meal size portions. I freeze enough for 2 in each pack.
- If you don’t have a good supply of Tupperware or freezable containers, I suggest you visit your local discount shop and buy a stack of chinese containers. The oblong ones are perfect freezer size, stack easily and hold just enough food for 2 people. You can normally get a stack of about 10 for $2.
- Cook Extra. If you are cooking something that freezes well, just double the batch. That way you have extra to freeze for later and it took no extra time or effort.
So – 10 of the best freezer friendly meals, in no particular order:
1. Curry. Any type is great. Top favourites in our house are Satay, Butter Chicken, Indian Korma, Thai Red Curry and Penang.
2. Casseroles and similar things – think French Chicken Casserole, Chilli Con Carne, Beef Stroganoff or Cassoulet.
3. Pizza’s. Make fresh bases, lay them in between layers of baking paper and pop in a zip lock bag or airtight container. You could also make them fresh with toppings and freeze.
4. Pies and Sausage Rolls. You can make big or small versions. Cook up a big batch of your favourite filling, grab some pre-made pastry sheets and get going! If you don’t have a mould, just make a pillow shape to hold the filling.
5. Slow cooker bags. As easy as pulling the bag out of the freezer, up-ending it into the slow cooker and turning it on! All you need do is put all your ingredients in the bag. The meat, vegies, herbs and spices. Just remember to write on the bag what it is before it goes in the freezer.
6. Bolegnese. Everyone’s old favourite. Makes anything and everything. Pasta Sauce, Spag Bol, Pie fillings. You name it.
7. Soups. May your imagination know no bounds! Anything from thick creamy pumpkin to minestrone to red curry with lime and noodles.
8. Meatballs/Hamburger patties/Koftas. Make up a stack of them with fresh mince and freeze. All that needs doing then is a quick fry and you have a quick and easy hamburger/kebab etc.
9. Garlic Bread. Any bread will do. We use leftover bread rolls, french baguettes, foccacia – anything. Slice, slap on plenty of garlic butter and wrap in foil. When you need it – just throw it straight in the oven.
10. Pasta Bakes. Plenty of recipes, plenty of ideas. Tuna Bakes or even a simple Macaroni Cheese. Cook as directed, and once in your oven proof dish, allow to cool, wrap and freeze. Then its just a simple defrost and bake.