I am obsessed with Banh Mi (Vietnamese Pork Roll). They are amongst the yummiest, freshest and most heavenly things you will ever set your taste buds on.
In a previous life, I had one for lunch every Friday. The rest of the office would head to the pub and I had a pork roll. There are so many shops that sell these rolls nowadays, it seems every Vietnamese bread shop has a little station set up and they seem to do a roaring trade. I have tasted (& tested) out my local area and can tell you where the best ones are (and contrary to popular opinion, you don’t always have to go to Cabramatta).
If you are always on the lookout for new, easy & cheap meals, you too can make your own versions of the Banh Mi. It’s not difficult, but it sure is tasty.
- Fresh baby rolls x 12
- Vietnamese Cha Lua (Also known as Vietnamese Devon)
- Vietnamese Thit Nguoi (Vietnamese Ham)
- Pork Belly (skin removed – fat left on)
- Fresh super thin strips of carrot
- Fresh super thin strips of Red Onion
- Vietnamese Pork Pate (or French Pork Pate)
- Fried Onions
- Thin strips of cucumber
- Fresh Corriander (stalks and all)
- Red Chilli’s (chopped) or Chilli Paste
- Maggi Seasoning
- Kewpie Mayonnaise
- Preheat your oven to 250Deg C;
- Rub a coronary-inducing amount of salt & some pepper on both sides of your pork and transfer it to a wire trivet inside a large baking dish;
- Bake at 250DegC for approx. 1 hour and then reduce the heat to 150DegC and cook for another hour. Keep an eye on your pork – if it’s getting overcooked – take it out!. Cover with foil and rest for approx. 30-40mins. Once cooled, slice into small batons and set aside;
- Split your dinner rolls through the middle at the top and swipe a thin layer of pate on one side and a layer of mayo on the other;
- Next, take a thin slice of the devon and the ham and place on top of your pate;
- Top with your vegetables, herbs, chilli and pork belly;
- Squeeze a small amount of the seasoning on top and sprinkle with your dried spring onions
These are quite seriously, one of the best things ever. Trust me when I tell you, you need these in your life!
Just Be You, Everyday