God I love spending my weekends washing & cleaning (said NO.ONE.EVER.)
There are 2 main things that must be done each and every day to keep your house running smoothly. Find out why my house marches on dishes & laundry.
I’ve done loads of research on the subject – trying to find the best, quickest & easiest way of getting as much done as possible in the shortest amount of time. At our house now the kids have “15min jobs” to do each and every day. This basically means that once homework and dinner is done, before you get to sit down and relax – you need to do your 15min jobs.
- 5mins putting away your clean clothes;
- 5mins tidying your room;
- 5mins running around the house, picking up anything that belongs to you and putting it away.
I also have a wonderful helper in getting this last job done. It’s called a Chuck out Bucket. Mum does the rounds of the house after jobs have been done and if you leave anything out or don’t put it away properly then sucko – it gets chucked out.
The same principle goes for grown ups too. Putting away clothes & simple tidying does not take long and goes a long way when it comes to keeping your place looking clean.
My Top Tips for a great daily cleaning routine:
- Stack your dishwasher as you go and put it on as soon as its full. I do this after dinner each night (I do 1 load a day) but if you have more people this might go double for you;
- Do 1 x load of washing each day. I put a wash on after dinner & hang out before I go to bed
- Work clothes and school uniforms get hung on hangers when wet and in the next day when dry you can collect & put away. No folding needed and it cuts down on ironing too;
- Put clean clothes away every day. Don’t leave them to pile up
- If your machine has a timer you can set it the night before to start early the next day and hang out before you leave for work
- Make your bed every day. I’m not talking hospital corners here – just pull up the sheets & doona and fluff your pillows. Instantly makes your room look tidier;
- Spend an extra 5 mins each doing a different job. Clean a bathroom, vacuum or mop the floor, clean your shower or spray your mirrors. An extra 5 mins a day will go unnoticed in the grand scheme of things, however a full day & cleaning and scrubbing will not!